Below the Southgate entrance to Pontefract General Infirmary is a little known monument, which has been described as 'surprising and remarkable'.
Discovered in October 1854 by workmen laying a new sewer in Southgate, the Hermitage consists of two chambers; a well, reached by a spiral staircase of 63 steps and an oratory, both excavated by hand from the solid rock.
The oratory, with an altar including a cross, a fireplace and a seat, has a domed ceiling and is almost 8 feet at its highest point.
To enquire about the dates of scheduled open days or to arrange private visits please contact Pontefract & Archaeological Society on 01977 702995 or Pontefract Museum.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||Please phone for dates & times.|
Southgate Entrance, Pontefract General Infirmary, Friarwood Lane, Pontefract, WF8 1PL
Map reference: SE 456216 Lat: 53.68885 Long: -1.31096